Friday, March 30, 2012

MSDE to SQL Server Express

Hi - I have an MSDE database running on my server - I'd like to port my asp.net 1.1 app to asp.net2, and make use of SQL 2005 Express.

How do I transfer my data from an MSDE database to SQL Server Express, keeping intact all of my unique ID fields, indexes, and SPs (I don't have any functions or views)

Thanks for any help,

Mark

Your best bet is either to "detach" it on the MSDE side, and "attach" it or "restore from backup" on the SQL 2005 side, or use DTS (data transformation services).

|||Hi - it's just SQL Server 2005 Express I have available, so no management tools are there to allow me to 'restore from backup' - I'm not sure it supports DTS either.

Has anyone else been able to do this?

Thanks, Mark|||

Even with SQL Express you should have the ability to detach the database. You need the Management studio installed to work with the Express server engine though. You can download it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=82afbd59-57a4-455e-a2d6-1d4c98d40f6e&displaylang=en

|||You don't have to detach from SQL Express if you are using a file based database (You are if you use the AttachDB attribute in your connect string). Just stop whatever application that uses it, and copy the mdb/ldb files to SQL Sever 2005 and attach.

No comments:

Post a Comment