Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MSDE size

Hi,
I am not quite sure about the MSDB maximum dabatase size.
Is the 4 GB maximum size applicable for each database
size or a table?
Can a single table size be more than 3 GB?. I have a
single table of size over 2.5 GB. If the size of a single
table is limited to 2 GB (I heard from my friend ... but
not sure) then should I split that large table into 2 or
3 tables such that I can take the maximum benefit of 4 GB
of MSDE size.
Please share your opinion and any new ideas other than
what I have written over here.
I appreciate it in advance !!
David
Currently with MSDE, the maximum database size, excluding logs is 2Gb.
Regards
Mike Epprecht, Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Zurich, Switzerland
IM: mike@.epprecht.net
MVP Program: http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/epprecht/
"David" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:08bd01c4e062$7dd4ee60$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I am not quite sure about the MSDB maximum dabatase size.
> Is the 4 GB maximum size applicable for each database
> size or a table?
> Can a single table size be more than 3 GB?. I have a
> single table of size over 2.5 GB. If the size of a single
> table is limited to 2 GB (I heard from my friend ... but
> not sure) then should I split that large table into 2 or
> 3 tables such that I can take the maximum benefit of 4 GB
> of MSDE size.
> Please share your opinion and any new ideas other than
> what I have written over here.
> I appreciate it in advance !!
> David
|||Though be aware that this is changing with 2005 Personal Edition, MSDE's
successor. The 2005 version will only recogognoze 1 GIG of memory, but I
believe it did increase the allowable db size to 4 GB. It also removed the 5
concurrent batch restriction and stopped shipping the SQL Agent. If you want
to autoamte task in 2005 you will have to use the NT scheduler.
Caveat: This was my understanding as of my last check. MS loves to change
things before final release
"Mike Epprecht (SQL MVP)" <mike@.epprecht.net> wrote in message
news:uIAZ3aG4EHA.3416@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Currently with MSDE, the maximum database size, excluding logs is 2Gb.
> Regards
> --
> Mike Epprecht, Microsoft SQL Server MVP
> Zurich, Switzerland
> IM: mike@.epprecht.net
> MVP Program: http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/epprecht/
> "David" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:08bd01c4e062$7dd4ee60$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
>
|||I believe you mean Express Edition not personal Edition.
-Euan
Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit. When posting,
please state the version of SQL Server being used and the error number/exact
error message text received, if any.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Bob Castleman" <nomail@.here> wrote in message
news:OVGrezS4EHA.3596@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Though be aware that this is changing with 2005 Personal Edition, MSDE's
> successor. The 2005 version will only recogognoze 1 GIG of memory, but I
> believe it did increase the allowable db size to 4 GB. It also removed the
5
> concurrent batch restriction and stopped shipping the SQL Agent. If you
want
> to autoamte task in 2005 you will have to use the NT scheduler.
> Caveat: This was my understanding as of my last check. MS loves to change
> things before final release
>
> "Mike Epprecht (SQL MVP)" <mike@.epprecht.net> wrote in message
> news:uIAZ3aG4EHA.3416@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>

No comments:

Post a Comment