Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MSDE setup / installation

Hi
I am a beginner in this, may I asked some basic question
1. do I need any version of MSDE before installing MSDE2000 sp3?
2. I have an environment with two servers, each of these has a web server
with a DC running, and I have written a .NET application for administrator
to maintain user a/c in this domain. Now, I would like to use a MSDE server
for keeping logs.
Can I have an installation of MSDE on each of these servers such that the
two installation would synchronize on a periodic basis?
Please note that changes of records are expected on either of these servers!
TIA
hi,
dl wrote:
> Hi
> I am a beginner in this, may I asked some basic question
> 1. do I need any version of MSDE before installing MSDE2000 sp3?
no, you can just directly install MSDE Rel A (sp3a level) and upgrade to sp4
via http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp4.mspx MSDE package (or
directly install MSDE at the sp4 level... but currently it's not clear to me
if general users not owning a "required" SQL Server license as per
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/howtobuy/msdeuse.asp are eligile for
direct sp4 use... just a note, Microsoft representatives already exposed a
refresh of MSDE Rel A updated at sp4 level will be made available...)

> 2. I have an environment with two servers, each of these has a web
> server with a DC running, and I have written a .NET application for
> administrator to maintain user a/c in this domain. Now, I would like
> to use a MSDE server for keeping logs.
> Can I have an installation of MSDE on each of these servers such that
> the two installation would synchronize on a periodic basis?
> Please note that changes of records are expected on either of these
> servers!
>
yes, you can install MSDE on both servers, and even provide a replication
paht between the 2 MSDE instances, as MSDE supports merge and snapshot
replication
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...lover_694n.asp)
but, unfortunately, without Enterprise Manager tool it will be not trivial
to set it up
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.12.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.58.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||In message <ei6anK5cFHA.3488@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, dl@.?.?.invalid
writes
>Hi
>I am a beginner in this, may I asked some basic question
>1. do I need any version of MSDE before installing MSDE2000 sp3?
If your download file for sp3 is about 60-70mb then know it will install
MSDE at the same time if not present. You would be better using the
MSDERelA package (which includes sp3).

>2. I have an environment with two servers, each of these has a web server
>with a DC running, and I have written a .NET application for administrator
>to maintain user a/c in this domain. Now, I would like to use a MSDE server
>for keeping logs.
>Can I have an installation of MSDE on each of these servers such that the
>two installation would synchronize on a periodic basis?
>Please note that changes of records are expected on either of these servers!
Yes. You can have as many instances per server as you like (well up to
16 anyway - I think thats the right number). Yes you can use DTS to
keep the servers synchronised (you would normally pick one as the master
however). Just make sure your database and table design are decent (ie:
Primary Keys etc).
Andrew D. Newbould E-Mail: newsgroups@.NOSPAMzadsoft.com
ZAD Software Systems Web : www.zadsoft.com

No comments:

Post a Comment