Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MSDE SetUp Hell: Newbie Help

I am trying to setup MSDE for the very first time. So I am absolutely a
newbie. I downloaded sql2ksp3 from microsoft site. I unpacked the file to a
folder and then clicked on setup.
I get an error message about using the command line to supply a strong
password and the setup exits...
I use the command line to supply a password like
setup SAPWD="Pwd777b7" and then the setup seems to install or change some
files.
I click on the setup again and I get an error an invalid Instance name name
error. I have read and reread the (from a first user's point of view) the
very unhelpful help file I download with MSDE setup.
I have been going back and forth on this. Anyone know what's wrong... Anyone
know of a URL where I can find a step-by-step method of installing MSDE.
Thanks in advance
hi,
JP Bless wrote:
> I am trying to setup MSDE for the very first time. So I am absolutely
> a newbie. I downloaded sql2ksp3 from microsoft site. I unpacked the
> file to a folder and then clicked on setup.
> I get an error message about using the command line to supply a strong
> password and the setup exits...
> I use the command line to supply a password like
> setup SAPWD="Pwd777b7" and then the setup seems to install or change
> some files.
you should have a new default instace of MSDE installed, with no network
protocols enabled and allowing only Windows authenticated connections..
please verify using the Windows Services applet (control panel->management
tools->services) you have a MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVERAGENT entry for the
related services...

> I click on the setup again and I get an error an invalid Instance
> name name error.
it failed as you tried that way to install a second default instance of MSDE
and ony 1 default instace is allowed... you can install other (up to 15, for
a max of 16 instances in total) named instances providing the additional
parameter
INSTANCENAME=whatever_name

>I have read and reread the (from a first user's
> point of view) the very unhelpful help file I download with MSDE
> setup.
> I have been going back and forth on this. Anyone know what's wrong...
> Anyone know of a URL where I can find a step-by-step method of
> installing MSDE.
>
if you can read/understand french,
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jm.doudoux/m...msde/msde.htm, if you can
read/understand italian, http://www.visual-basic.it/articoli/scMsde01.htm,
but I do not know english sites
anyway, you should not just click on the setup.exe boostrap installer but
call it from a command window and provide all the required parameters,
usually (depending on your needs) in the form of
c:\...\>setupe.exe INSTANCENAME=whatever SAPWD=your_strong_pwd
SECURITYMODE=SQL DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 /L*v "C:\MSDELOG.txt"
this typical command line will install a named instance named "whatever",
with "sa" login pwd = "your_strong_pwd", enabling SQL Server standard
connections (mixed mode authentication, allowing both integrated security a
standard SQL Server connections), enabling network protocols and thus
enabling remote connections and finally enabling verbose logging of the
installation process to a text file of about 2mb for a successfull
installation you can inspect in case of troubles for
RETURN VALUE 3
entries... this entries are localized in the particular MSDE localized
flavour, and about 10/15 lines before each entry some (sometime cryptic)
description of the problem will be reported...
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.15.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.60.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||Thanks Andrea. It helped. Now I am done with with installation, I guess I
just cleared the first hurdle. My next task is to know how to add tables and
queries. I see there is no GUI (like Enterprise Manager) in the full/server
version, to administer/add table/Queries etc. Any tips where to begin?
Once again, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Joe
"Andrea Montanari" <andrea.sqlDMO@.virgilio.it> wrote in message
news:3rv3laFloeqnU1@.individual.net...
> hi,
> JP Bless wrote:
> you should have a new default instace of MSDE installed, with no network
> protocols enabled and allowing only Windows authenticated connections..
> please verify using the Windows Services applet (control panel->management
> tools->services) you have a MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVERAGENT entry for the
> related services...
> it failed as you tried that way to install a second default instance of
MSDE
> and ony 1 default instace is allowed... you can install other (up to 15,
for
> a max of 16 instances in total) named instances providing the additional
> parameter
> INSTANCENAME=whatever_name
>
> if you can read/understand french,
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jm.doudoux/m...msde/msde.htm, if you can
> read/understand italian, http://www.visual-basic.it/articoli/scMsde01.htm,
> but I do not know english sites
> anyway, you should not just click on the setup.exe boostrap installer but
> call it from a command window and provide all the required parameters,
> usually (depending on your needs) in the form of
> c:\...\>setupe.exe INSTANCENAME=whatever SAPWD=your_strong_pwd
> SECURITYMODE=SQL DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 /L*v "C:\MSDELOG.txt"
> this typical command line will install a named instance named "whatever",
> with "sa" login pwd = "your_strong_pwd", enabling SQL Server standard
> connections (mixed mode authentication, allowing both integrated security
a
> standard SQL Server connections), enabling network protocols and thus
> enabling remote connections and finally enabling verbose logging of the
> installation process to a text file of about 2mb for a successfull
> installation you can inspect in case of troubles for
> RETURN VALUE 3
> entries... this entries are localized in the particular MSDE localized
> flavour, and about 10/15 lines before each entry some (sometime cryptic)
> description of the problem will be reported...
> --
> Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
> http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
> DbaMgr2k ver 0.15.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.60.0
> (my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
> interface)
> -- remove DMO to reply
>
|||hi Joe,
JP Bless wrote:
> Thanks Andrea. It helped. Now I am done with with installation, I
> guess I just cleared the first hurdle. My next task is to know how to
> add tables and queries. I see there is no GUI (like Enterprise
> Manager) in the full/server version, to administer/add table/Queries
> etc. Any tips where to begin?
>
my tip is to use the prj you can find at the link following my sign., which
provides free a user interface similar to Enterprise Manager written in vb6
on top of SQL-DMO object model as long as a lot of dynamic SQL :D, but I'm
deeply involved in that advice :D
you have further choices, both commercial and free at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/partners and
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2442
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.15.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.60.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||Thanks a million... I appreciate the help. I will look at the sites and
tools.
Once again thanks.
Joe
"Andrea Montanari" <andrea.sqlDMO@.virgilio.it> wrote in message
news:3rvco3FkpmcvU1@.individual.net...
> hi Joe,
> JP Bless wrote:
> my tip is to use the prj you can find at the link following my sign.,
which
> provides free a user interface similar to Enterprise Manager written in
vb6
> on top of SQL-DMO object model as long as a lot of dynamic SQL :D, but I'm
> deeply involved in that advice :D
> you have further choices, both commercial and free at
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/partners and
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2442
> --
> Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
> http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
> DbaMgr2k ver 0.15.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.60.0
> (my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
> interface)
> -- remove DMO to reply
>

No comments:

Post a Comment