Friday, March 30, 2012

MSDE TCP listen problem

I have recently installed a MSDE 2000 (unfortunately with no service pack yet) on a Standard Windows 2003 server. I have used the srvntcn.exe utility to make the MSDE server listen on TCP/IP port 1433. But it will not listen on that port! Or any other TCP
/IP port!! There is no information in the ERRORLOG file. This file just tells me, that MSDE is listening on Named Pipes and Shared Memory.
I have tried making my own application listen on port 1433 to see if there were some security settings on that port. And my application had no problem in listening on port 1433.
After looking in the Event Viewer I found a solution to my problem: Windows 2003 Server automatically close down TCP/IP listening for MSDE, if MSDE is not updated with a Service Pack. MSDE without Service Pack is not very secure to virusses like Slammer.
|||As a side note, this does not just occur for MSDE 2000. TCP/IP is shutdown
for all editions of SQL Server 2000 without service pack 3 on Windows 2003.
Rand
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
|||I have updated with sp3a , but Windows 2003 server still automatically close
down TCP/IP listening for SQL , How do I alter it manual ?
"Finn Rasmussen" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> bl
news:BD399D59-0EA9-4981-82D7-1F4ADED91C4C@.microsoft.com g...
> After looking in the Event Viewer I found a solution to my problem:
Windows 2003 Server automatically close down TCP/IP listening for MSDE, if
MSDE is not updated with a Service Pack. MSDE without Service Pack is not
very secure to virusses like Slammer.

No comments:

Post a Comment