Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MSDE SP3a and XP SP2 on Localhost

I've upgraded to SP 2 for Windows XP and now none of my apps can see MSDE
default instance on localhost (i.e. not over the network). I found where an
upgrade to SP3 was required for MSDE to coexist with XP SP2, so I upgraded
and it's still not working.
Is there something else I'm missing?
thanks in advance
XP SP2 installs a new local firewall that prevents applications from opening
listening ports. You will need to configure the local firewall to allow
sqlservr.exe open listening ports.
See:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinf...inxpsp2faq.asp
Jim
"tg2" <tg2@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:344BFC99-5751-46FB-B637-75A70398763B@.microsoft.com...
> I've upgraded to SP 2 for Windows XP and now none of my apps can see MSDE
> default instance on localhost (i.e. not over the network). I found where
an
> upgrade to SP3 was required for MSDE to coexist with XP SP2, so I upgraded
> and it's still not working.
> Is there something else I'm missing?
> thanks in advance
|||Except when running on the localhost (i.e. NOT using the network), the
firewall doesn't come into play. My application is using shared memory to
connect to the MSDE database and as such, never opens a network library --
thus opening the firewall doesn't fix the problem.
But thank you for your reply anyway...
"Jim Young" wrote:

> XP SP2 installs a new local firewall that prevents applications from opening
> listening ports. You will need to configure the local firewall to allow
> sqlservr.exe open listening ports.
> See:
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinf...inxpsp2faq.asp
> Jim
> "tg2" <tg2@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:344BFC99-5751-46FB-B637-75A70398763B@.microsoft.com...
> an
>
>
|||I have precisely the same problem. My application relies entirely on local
instance of MSDE.
Process associated with sqlservr does not show any port to be opened when
checked with "netstat" command. Any ideas how to work around it?
"tg2" wrote:

> Except when running on the localhost (i.e. NOT using the network), the
> firewall doesn't come into play. My application is using shared memory to
> connect to the MSDE database and as such, never opens a network library --
> thus opening the firewall doesn't fix the problem.
> But thank you for your reply anyway...
>
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment