Monday, March 26, 2012

MSDE Secury

Can I distribute a MSDE 1.0 database(SQL Server 7) so that the user cannot
see its contents even if the user has SQL server installed on his machine?
I use visual basic 6.0 and I need to distribute data that cannot be seen(nor
opened) by the user, except from the VB 6 application.
Rick
hi Rick,
Rick wrote:
> Can I distribute a MSDE 1.0 database(SQL Server 7) so that the user
> cannot see its contents even if the user has SQL server installed on
> his machine?
> I use visual basic 6.0 and I need to distribute data that cannot be
> seen(nor opened) by the user, except from the VB 6 application.
no, you can't... every SQL Server administrator (member of server's
sysadmins) will be able to access your database...
for further info please have a look at http://tinyurl.com/9rzrd
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.15.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.60.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||If it's sensitive text you want to protect from prying eyes, you could
introduce an encryption layer to your program - encrypt text before your save
it on the DB and decrypt it after selecting.
Jamie Clancy
Ulysses Systems, London
"Rick" wrote:

> Can I distribute a MSDE 1.0 database(SQL Server 7) so that the user cannot
> see its contents even if the user has SQL server installed on his machine?
> I use visual basic 6.0 and I need to distribute data that cannot be seen(nor
> opened) by the user, except from the VB 6 application.
>
> --
> Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment