Monday, March 26, 2012

MSDE sa password - newbie

I downloaded and installed (somehow) MSDE a couple weeks ago but have not used it. Now I try to access MSDE using sa account but it does not accept an empty password and I do not remember providing one at install. MSDE appears to be installed because I se
e data files at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$VSDOTNET\Data. Is there any way I can start using this install or do I need to start all over?
hi Mike,
"Mike" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:C864FCBB-655C-4D66-9DC4-9215C74A47C7@.microsoft.com...
> I downloaded and installed (somehow) MSDE a couple weeks ago but have not
used it. Now I try to
>access MSDE using sa account but it does not accept an empty password and I
do not remember
>providing one at install. MSDE appears to be installed because I see data
files at C:\Program
>Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$VSDOTNET\Data. Is there any way I can
start using this install or
>do I need to start all over?
you probably changed the sa password...
try login in using a trusted authenticated Windows login member of the
sysadmin group
all sysadmin are granted privilege to modify password of other user...
then execute (osql, or the query tool of your choice)
EXEC sp_password @.new = 'new_password', @.loginame = 'sa'
in order to modify the forgotten sa pwd..
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.7.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.53.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||Hi,
If you have not provided a password for the SA login at installation time,
then it should be blank and it should accept it.
What I doubt is the Server name that you would be entering to connect to
the MSDE.
From the folder name that you have sent, I understand that it is a named
instance and you should use "computername\Instancename", in your case
"Computername\VSDOTNET", replace computername with the name of your
computer and try it.
HTH
Ashish
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment