Friday, March 30, 2012

MSDE TCP listen problem

I have recently installed a MSDE 2000 (unfortunately with no service pack ye
t) on a Standard Windows 2003 server. I have used the srvntcn.exe utility to
make the MSDE server listen on TCP/IP port 1433. But it will not listen on
that port! Or any other TCP
/IP port!! There is no information in the ERRORLOG file. This file just tell
s me, that MSDE is listening on Named Pipes and Shared Memory.
I have tried making my own application listen on port 1433 to see if there w
ere some security settings on that port. And my application had no problem i
n listening on port 1433.After looking in the Event Viewer I found a solution to my problem: Windows
2003 Server automatically close down TCP/IP listening for MSDE, if MSDE is n
ot updated with a Service Pack. MSDE without Service Pack is not very secure
to virusses like Slammer.|||As a side note, this does not just occur for MSDE 2000. TCP/IP is shutdown
for all editions of SQL Server 2000 without service pack 3 on Windows 2003.
Rand
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.|||I have updated with sp3a , but Windows 2003 server still automatically close
down TCP/IP listening for SQL , How do I alter it manual ?
"Finn Rasmussen" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> bl
news:BD399D59-0EA9-4981-82D7-1F4ADED91C4C@.microsoft.com g...
> After looking in the Event Viewer I found a solution to my problem:
Windows 2003 Server automatically close down TCP/IP listening for MSDE, if
MSDE is not updated with a Service Pack. MSDE without Service Pack is not
very secure to virusses like Slammer.

No comments:

Post a Comment