Friday, March 30, 2012

MSDE SP4 Upgrade problem

Recently when I try to upgrade my current MSDE2000 (SP3a) to SP4 in Windows
XP – SP2, the system just keep on failing me. He is the scenario:
1. Download the MSDE 2000 SP4 from Microsoft site
2. Extract the MSDE SP4
3. Run the following command via command prompt or batch file:
echo off
echo "Start to Upgrade MSDE SP4 ... "
setup.exe /UPGRADESP SQLRUN INSTANCENAME=JSNG SECURITYMODE=SQL
UPGRADEUSER=sa UPGRADEPWD=Th3B3st /L*v c:\MSDE_Log.log
echo "SP4 Upgrade Process completed!"
4. Once the above batch file was run, the standard configuration
screen (gathering information) will be triggered
5. However, after a while the installation will just stopped (before
the title of the windows has changed to show the instance name)
6. When I checked on the verbose log, I have found out that the failure
of the installation is due to the system has failed to configure the server.
PFB for the last few rows of the verbose log:
=== Logging stopped: 8/22/2006 17:36:49 ===
MSI (c) (90:88) [17:36:49:865]: Note: 1: 1729
MSI (c) (90:88) [17:36:49:865]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine
-- Configuration failed.
MSI (c) (90:88) [17:36:49:865]: Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (90:88) [17:36:49:865]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if
any exist
MSI (c) (90:88) [17:36:49:865]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
=== Verbose logging stopped: 8/22/2006 17:36:49 ===
7. Since this is the configuration error, so I have tried to locate
the cnfgsvr.out and hope to get some hints from there, but unfortunately the
config server file is still not updated yet where it still keep the old info
during the installation of MSDE 2000 SP3a.
8. When I try to locate the error (value = 3), I have found out the
its due to the system has detected blank sa password, but I am sure that the
password that I has provided is correct. PFB for the error recorded in the
verbose log:
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
Setup.{EFB70B01-B1F3-4960-AB69-4A280084A60C}
Starting custom action UpgDetectBlankSaLogin()
Entering Function MyMsiEvaluateCondition
MsiEvaluateCondition for VersionNT returned TRUE
End Function MyMsiEvaluateCondition
An error was encountered during connection to server: 1
Ending custom action UpgDetectBlankSaLogin().
Action ended 9:37:45:
UpgDetectBlankSaLogin.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2 C064397B. Return value 3.
Action ended 9:37:45: INSTALL. Return value 3.
Property(S): UpgradeCode = {421A321C-2214-4713-B3EB-253F2FBCCE49}
Property(S): SqlDataDir = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
Property(S): SqlProgramDir = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
Property(S): SqlInstanceName = EASYSHIP
Property(S): SqlSecurityMode = SQL
Property(S): SqlSa...
Property(S): SqlDisableNetworkProtocols = 0
Property(S): SqlDoUpgrade = 1
Property(S): ProductName = Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (EASYSHIP)
Property(S): VersionNT = 501
Property(S): ALLUSERS = 1
Property(S): ARPNOMODIFY = 1
Property(S): DefaultUIFont = Tahoma8
9. I have even try to use a different command line and yet it failed.
PFB for the alternative command line that I have used:
setup.exe /UPGRADESP SQLRUN INSTANCENAME=JSNG SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD=Th3B3st
/L*v
10. I have tried the same in a Windows 2000 Std Server - SP4, and yet it
failed.
During my testing, I have closed down all SQL related activities, including
the followings:
1. Microsoft OutLook
2. SQL Agent Service
3. Easyship Scheduler
But I still experience the above.
I have tried to re-run the same in one of my fresh Windows XP (in virtual
machine), and everything just works fine. Could it be any unclean registry
entry that fail this? Or could it be any software component that is
incompatible with this? Does it have anything to do with the version of MS
Installer being installed in my machine? FYI, I have installed the latest MS
Installer 3.1 before when I tried to install SQL Express, however after I
have remove it, the problem still persist.
Do you have any idea on the above? PFA for the versbose log.
HI,
I am also facing the same issue in my domain.
Unable to find much details.
Is your issue resolved?If yes kindly help me out.
Thanks in advance,
Harish K
EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
|||HI,
I am also facing the same issue in my domain.
Unable to find much details.
Is your issue resolved?If yes kindly help me out.
Thanks in advance,
Harish K
EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment