Saturday, February 25, 2012

MSDE install hangs -- any ideas?

I installed MSDE. Then I changed the name of my machine. Then I uninstalled MSDE, so I could create a new, properly-named instance.

Now, when I try to install, the installer gets about 75% of the way through the "gathering information" stage, and hangs, every time. I have to kill it with Task Manager.

Help! What can I do?

Extra info: I thought maybe the problem was related to Norton AV, so I uninstalled that. While that was uninstalling, the installer announced that there was a "suspended" install of MSDE that needed to be cleared. So I said, yes, clear it. How do I find out if there are other suspended installs in progress?

Thanks...Solved it myself: the partial install left a bunch of junk in the registry related to SQL server. I deleted all of them, then reinstalled successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment