Saturday, February 25, 2012

MSDE Help

Hey,

I have produced an asp.net application, and it's time for me to look to installing it at my clients site.

The application uses MS SQL. I have a redistribution license for MSDE 2000. So I have spent all morning ( :-( ) trying to work out how I can distribute it.

I have worked out how to install MSDE, however I can't find any information on:

1. How to connect to the MSDE instance (both for admin and through the asp.net pages).
2. What tools I can use to add/import a database to the MSDE instance.
3. If there is a way to create a distribution package other than using Visual Studio (which I don't have)

I have named the instance WENS, I set the password to XXXXX (not that)

I have worked out how to start the service by opening the service manager. However there are no admin tools provided, and when I use the MS SQL admin tools I can't connect, it doesn't accept the user account
sa, XXXXX

So, basically, any help you can give me would be fantastic, I'm at a loose end, lol.

Thanks a lot for your help.

(Tools I have at my disposal, web matrix, MS SQL Enterprise Edition, MSDE, and I'll download anything that will help (and is legal to use) )http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;321698 - KBA to start with and refer to corresponding KBA links too.|||Hey,

That seemed to fix a lot of my problems, thanks ;-).

I still have one issue I can't seem to find an answer to in there.

When I connect to the database from another computer, I get an error message saying

Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties ...

The instance is called WENS and is located on a computer named ASHG

so I am attempting to connect to

ASHG\WENS

is that correct? what could be causeing this error? all the services in the services manager for the WENS instance as running.

Thanks
-Ashleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment