Monday, February 20, 2012

MSDE fails to connect

Hi All
I have a bunch of test/demo servers running on VMware Workstation
Some of those is running Axapta 3.0 sp3 demo version with MSDE 2 as the data
engine (named instance)
I have moved the VMware files around from one host to another
OS starts nicely, I get an IP and get access to the internet
On one server I have SQL2k running whitout problems
All other apps is working nicely
After moving the VMware files I can't connect to the MSDE database anymore?
The MSDE Service has been started (checked using net start)
The IP adress is on a different network on this new host
Any pointers on where I can start trouble shooting?
One note: One of the servers has been cloned at some point the clone still
works as expeccted
Thanks in advance
- Peter
hi Peter,
Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
> Hi All
> I have a bunch of test/demo servers running on VMware Workstation
> Some of those is running Axapta 3.0 sp3 demo version with MSDE 2 as
> the data engine (named instance)
> I have moved the VMware files around from one host to another
> OS starts nicely, I get an IP and get access to the internet
> On one server I have SQL2k running whitout problems
> All other apps is working nicely
> After moving the VMware files I can't connect to the MSDE database
> anymore? The MSDE Service has been started (checked using net start)
> The IP adress is on a different network on this new host
> Any pointers on where I can start trouble shooting?
> One note: One of the servers has been cloned at some point the clone
> still works as expeccted
you can no longer connect locally or remotely?
is the MSDE's errolog file indicating troubles, or the event log?
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.16.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.61.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||"Andrea Montanari" wrote

> you can no longer connect locally or remotely?
Locally

> is the MSDE's errolog file indicating troubles, or the event log?
Ehh could it be because I have no DC for the OS?
Forgot about that - hmm
- changing to workgroup - don't need a DC for this setup ...
It's working now, hmm - bugger
Note to oneself - always check the applicationlog
Thanks/Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment