Monday, February 20, 2012

MSDE for Testing, SQL Server for Deployment...?

I'm going to be starting a web application this week. I have quite a bit of experience with Access Databases, and I've also used MySQL (back in my PHP days, thank GOD for ASP.NET).
The server we use to host our websites allows us to use SQL Server databases, so I want to move in that direction, but I'm not really sure where to start.
If I download MSDE, and start a database with it on a site I will be developing locally (on my XP box), will it be difficult for me to transfer the database (or layout of the database) to a production server running SQL Server. I know they're basically the same database, but I'm just afraid to start with an MSDE database and then get the site nearly complete, and then not know how to transfer it to a SQL Server DB.

I'm particularly interested to know if the majority of the database creation will be done through queries (similar to MySQL) because I figure if it is, then I can use the same queries to create the database on both the local and production server.

I just want to make sure that downloading MSDE will be a step in the right direction.

Perhaps links or tutorials or some information on things to watch out for as I take on this process would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.The same code that works on MSDE will work fine on SQL Server. You can use queries to create tables/views/stored procedures, or you can use Enterprise Manager or Visual Studio .NET (presuming you have the correct version - I am not sure what version is required of VS.NET to do DB work).|||Thanks for your reply douglas.reilly
Now if I am creating with queries, what's the best way to go about doing that exactly? Should I create a page that executes the query I type into a textbox? Or is there a better (probably more secure and reliable) way of doing it?

Thanks again for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment