Saturday, February 25, 2012

MSDE in Enterprise manager: strange number with managed tasks...

Without having read the manual (just assuming it should work), I have a
problem with MSDE and using the Enterprise Manager to create a database
maintenance plan.
I have a desktop machine with SQL2K(sp3) and a portable with MSDE
(msderela.exe). I am testing (developing) an application that should
bee able to pull a subscription-db (portable in this case) from the
main-server (desktop in this case). I've setup all directories needed
(repldata) and the installation-log for MSDE (installed with /L*v)
didn't gave me any error... I've attached a DB (for testing purposes)
and (using the Enterprise manager) it seems to return everything I want
it to return (data that is).
But, when I was trying to setup a maintenance plan on the laptop (so
that user has a backup in case he's traveling and would like to revert
to a backup-file), I run into some very strange errors. Although I can
create a plan (either using the wizard or 'plain'), certain values are,
well, let's say damaged...
For example, the "complete backup" tab. On the right side of the
checkbox "Remove files older then" you have a combo with 'days',
'weeks', etc. For some reason, this combo is empty.
Having skipped this functionality completely, I've setup a complete
plan and saved it. Backup every 1 days at 18:00 (there's more, but for
the example's sake I don't include all settings).
Now, when I open that plan again, I see that the every 1 days is
changed to 366 days (not only for this one, but for all where I've set
it to every 1 day). I can't save the plan anymore (errors complaining
about having the wrong value-types). When I change it back to 1 day,
save it and re-open it, it comes back with the 366 days again...
Any ideas on what's going on here?
Thx,
GB
Dit is een automatische handtekening van MesNews.
Site : http://www.mesnews.net
Are you sure you're properly licensed to manage MSDE with Enterprise
Manager?
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)
"Gijs Beukenoot" <gijs.beukenoot@.wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
news:mn.8c937d4b9fda54cf.22563@.wanadoo.nl...
> Without having read the manual (just assuming it should work), I have a
> problem with MSDE and using the Enterprise Manager to create a database
> maintenance plan.
> I have a desktop machine with SQL2K(sp3) and a portable with MSDE
> (msderela.exe). I am testing (developing) an application that should
> bee able to pull a subscription-db (portable in this case) from the
> main-server (desktop in this case). I've setup all directories needed
> (repldata) and the installation-log for MSDE (installed with /L*v)
> didn't gave me any error... I've attached a DB (for testing purposes)
> and (using the Enterprise manager) it seems to return everything I want
> it to return (data that is).
> But, when I was trying to setup a maintenance plan on the laptop (so
> that user has a backup in case he's traveling and would like to revert
> to a backup-file), I run into some very strange errors. Although I can
> create a plan (either using the wizard or 'plain'), certain values are,
> well, let's say damaged...
> For example, the "complete backup" tab. On the right side of the
> checkbox "Remove files older then" you have a combo with 'days',
> 'weeks', etc. For some reason, this combo is empty.
> Having skipped this functionality completely, I've setup a complete
> plan and saved it. Backup every 1 days at 18:00 (there's more, but for
> the example's sake I don't include all settings).
> Now, when I open that plan again, I see that the every 1 days is
> changed to 366 days (not only for this one, but for all where I've set
> it to every 1 day). I can't save the plan anymore (errors complaining
> about having the wrong value-types). When I change it back to 1 day,
> save it and re-open it, it comes back with the 366 days again...
> Any ideas on what's going on here?
> Thx,
> GB
> --
> Dit is een automatische handtekening van MesNews.
> Site : http://www.mesnews.net
>
|||Aaron [SQL Server MVP] drukte met precisie uit :
> Are you sure you're properly licensed to manage MSDE with Enterprise
> Manager?
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>
I fail to see what the licensing has to do with this problem...
But anyway, I have at least three developer licenses (7 and 2x2K); two
standard licenses (7 and 2K) and one Enterprise license (2K) (all
processor); I also have one dev lic with with Office-xp-dev and I have
an MSDN universal... But from memory (I used to have @.microsoft.com
behind my (not-mentioned-here-due-to-spam)-address although that is a
few years ago), having just one valid SQL license is enough to do what
I want to do.
Dit is een automatische handtekening van MesNews.
Site : http://www.mesnews.net
|||> I fail to see what the licensing has to do with this problem...
Maybe trying to push you to create jobs legally using the stored procedures
in MSDB, instead of Enterprise Manager, which (a) you are having problems
with, and (b) is not likely abiding by licensing agreements.

> But anyway, I have at least three developer licenses (7 and 2x2K); two
> standard licenses (7 and 2K) and one Enterprise license (2K) (all
> processor); I also have one dev lic with with Office-xp-dev and I have
> an MSDN universal... But from memory (I used to have @.microsoft.com
> behind my (not-mentioned-here-due-to-spam)-address although that is a
> few years ago), having just one valid SQL license is enough to do what
> I want to do.
I would consult with a Microsoft licensing rep before having confidence in
such a statement. MSDE has very strict limitations on how you can use SQL
Server tools for management, regardless of how many licenses you have for
other editions. And there are very few cases that I've heard of where it's
legal to manage MSDE with Enterprise Manager, sorry.
|||Aaron [SQL Server MVP] drukte met precisie uit :

> I would consult with a Microsoft licensing rep before having confidence in
> such a statement. MSDE has very strict limitations on how you can use SQL
> Server tools for management, regardless of how many licenses you have for
> other editions. And there are very few cases that I've heard of where it's
> legal to manage MSDE with Enterprise Manager, sorry.
Aaron,
Can I point you to the website?
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/howtobuy/msdeuse.asp
To be precise :
<cut>
Q. Can I use SQL Server tools and services in conjunction with MSDE?
A. You can only use SQL Server tools and services in conjunction with
MSDE if you acquired MSDE through SQL Server 2000 (Developer Edition,
Standard Edition, or Enterprise Edition), and if you are using MSDE in
conjunction with a properly licensed copy of SQL Server 2000. Visit the
How to Buy page for information on obtaining a valid SQL Server
license.
Note: The tools and services included with SQL Server Developer Edition
may not be used to manage production server environments.
<paste>
And this is exactly what I'm doing...
Sent me a private message if you're still think I am doing something
wrong.
Dit is een automatische handtekening van MesNews.
Site : http://www.mesnews.net
|||> And this is exactly what I'm doing...
I thought the same thing too, but apparently there's much more to it than
that single paragraph, and relying on that paragraph has proved detrimental
in the past.

> Sent me a private message if you're still think I am doing something
> wrong.
Not really my job to prove to you that you are doing something wrong; you
might not be, I don't know because I am neither a lawyer nor a Microsoft
licensing rep. Just reminding you that the onus is on YOU to be sure YOU
are abiding by the licensing agreement(s).
|||Aaron [SQL Server MVP] gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :
> I thought the same thing too, but apparently there's much more to it than
> that single paragraph, and relying on that paragraph has proved detrimental
> in the past.
>
> Not really my job to prove to you that you are doing something wrong; you
> might not be, I don't know because I am neither a lawyer nor a Microsoft
> licensing rep. Just reminding you that the onus is on YOU to be sure YOU
> are abiding by the licensing agreement(s).
Good. Can we go back to the original question then?
Anybody any ideas why the before mentioned method is giving me these
strange numbers?
Dit is een automatische handtekening van MesNews.
Site : http://www.mesnews.net

No comments:

Post a Comment